Daddy's Oatmeal Cookies (& GF Version)



♥♥♥!♥♥♥!♥♥♥!♥♥♥
Don't you just love family traditions...

♥♥♥!♥♥♥!♥♥♥!♥♥♥


When I was little, my mom originally made these delightful cookies for daddy & us kids. Once I became a teenager, the responsibility and wooden spoon were handed down to me. So, whenever dad hollered, "Mom, how about some Daddy's Oatmeal Cookies?", I was the one now in charge, and then when my son became a teenager, I handed him the wooden spoon. Haha! 

Dad & Mom
(both now passed)
Yet, I will love to make them for my hubby & grandkids.

Our sweet grandkids in 5-2014 (3 more born years later)

♥♥♥!♥♥♥!♥♥♥!♥♥♥
I've continued this
Family Tradition...
My own kid's dubbed them "Grandpa's"

♥♥♥!♥♥♥!♥♥♥!♥♥♥
They love the original Daddy's Oatmeal Cookies... making them with all-purpose wheat flour. They also love my GF Daddy's Oatmeal Cookies version, as my grand-kidlets especially do too!
♥♥♥!♥♥♥!♥♥♥!♥♥♥

Daddy's Oatmeal Cookies (& GF)
My husband calls them Daddy's; he hollers for them too! 

1 cup (204 g) shortening, butter flavored 
1 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
1 cup (154 g) brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 
Or 1 1/4 cups (158 g better than Cup4Cup) Gluten Free, DIY mock blend
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups quick cooking oats, (300 g Bob's Red Mill) Gluten Free
1/2 cup chopped nuts, (I opt. out)

Instead, I'll Add:
1-2 generous handfuls Craisins
1-2 generous handfuls raisins
1 generous handful white chocolate chips, (not always)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Be sure you have an oven thermometer to check that the temperature is correct.


Cream the shortening and sugars together; add and cream in the eggs and vanilla. Stir the dry ingredients in. Stir each of oatmeal (1-cup) at a time. Using a 2-Tbsp ice cream scoop, or 2 large spoons, make mounds of dough onto parchment lined, or greased baking sheets. 

Note: You can freeze the cookie dough balls until hard at this point. Store in a large zip-type bag freezer bag for 1-3 months. Bake while frozen, adding several minutes longer. 

Bake the fresh cookies for 9 minutes. Remove, even though they will look {deceptively} under-baked, and cool 2 minutes on the cookie sheets. The bottoms will continue bake and brown on the HOT baking sheets.

Transfer to wire racks, note the cookies dry out even more, once they've cooled completely. 

Note: The baked cookies freeze BEAUTIFULLY too. You can ZAP 1-2 cookies on Defrost (level 3) in the microwave as long as 1 minute. Oooh, they'll taste and SMELL just like fresh BAKED again! 

They are so amazingly GOOD, so with just the two of us home now, we can still have ♥♥♥Daddy's Oatmeal Cookies♥♥♥ (anytime) and at our beck and call, keep t(his) tradition going strong!

♥♥♥!♥♥♥!♥♥♥!♥♥♥
  Enjoy,

Sharon Anne


Labels: , , , ,